Cable crunches are an excellent exercise for toning and strengthening your abdominal muscles. With just a slight variation in your movements, not only can you target the abs but also the obliques.
How to do Cable Ab Crunches:
- Locate a high pulley and attach the rope attachment. Kneel in front of the machine about 2-3 feet away.
- Grab the rope and lower it until your hands are positioned next to your face. Tighten your hips and allow the weight to slightly hyperextend your lower back, creating a curve outward.
- With your hips stationary, move your body downward and flex at the waist to contract the abs. Your elbows should end up at the middle of your thighs. Hold the contraction for a moment.
- Slowly return to your original position and keep constant tension on the abdominals throughout the movement. For a slight variation, twist the lower back and touch your elbow to the opposite leg to target the obliques.
- Repeat the movement for the suggested amount of repetitions.
* Photos and video from © Bodybuilding.com