Dumbbell hammer curls are an excellent isolation movement for the biceps. In the “hammer curl” position, both heads are targeted but more emphasis is placed on the long (outer) head of the bicep.
How to do Dumbbell Hammer Curls:
- Select the appropriate dumbbells and start in either a standing or seated position.
- With the dumbbells at your sides and palms facing towards your torso, keep your upper arm stationary and curl the dumbbell forward, raising the weight until the biceps are contracted and the weight is at shoulder height.
- Hold the position for a moment and squeeze your bicep. Lower the dumbbells back down to the original position at your sides. You can do each arm individually, rotate back and forth between each arm or do them simultaneously.
- Repeat for the suggested amount of repetitions.
* Photos and video from © Bodybuilding.com