Dumbbell lateral shoulder raises (or side shoulder raises) focus primarily on the side deltoids. They also hit the traps (upper back) and are a great excise for defining your shoulders and upper torso.
: Definition, Toning
How to do Dumbbell Lateral Shoulder Raises:
- Select dumbbells and stand upright with the dumbbells by your side, palms facing inward. This exercise can be completed in either a standing or seated position.
- Keeping your torso stationary, lift the dumbbells up from your side with a slight bend in your elbow and your hands slightly tilted as if pouring water into a glass.
- Pause at the top of each motion. Lower the dumbbells back down slowly to your sides. You are using too much weight if you have to use a “swinging” motion to raise the weight back up.
- Repeat exercise for the suggested number of repetitions.
* Photos and video from © Bodybuilding.com