A glute bridge (sometimes confused with a hip thrust) is a compound movement that primarily targets the glutes / butt. They can be done with a barbell, dumbbell or plate – or no weight at all.
How to do Glute Bridge Exercise:
- Begin this exercise seated on the ground with a loaded barbell over your legs. Having a pad on the bar can greatly reduce discomfort. You can also use an individual plate, dumbbell or no weights at all.
- Roll the bar so that it sits directly above your hips (or position a plate / dumbbell flat on your lap) and lay down on the floor.
- Begin the movement by driving through with your heels, extending the hips vertically and up with the weight.
- Slowly extend up as far as possible and squeeze your butt, then reverse the motion and return to the starting position.
- Repeat the exercise for the recommended number of reps.
* Photos from © Bodybuilding.com