A glute kickback is a compound movement that primarily targets the glutes / butt, along with a little bit of hamstrings. This exercise is great for beginners and can easily be done at home or in the gym.
: Toning, Sculpting
How to do Glute Kickback Exercise:
- Kneel on the floor or an exercise mat and bend over with your arms extended out in front of you. You should be in a kneeling / push-up position with your arms spaced about shoulder width apart. Your should be looking forward with your knees bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Slowly lift up your right leg and “kick back” until your hamstring (rear upper leg) is in line with your back while maintaining the 90-degree bend in your knee. Squeeze the glutes and hold the contraction at the top for a moment.
- Return to the start position and repeat with the left leg.
- Continue to alternate legs (or do each leg individually) until you’ve reached the suggested number of repetitions.
- For added resistance, try using ankle weights.
* Photos and video from © Bodybuilding.com