One-arm dumbbell tricep extensions (or overhead tricep extensions) are an excellent isolation movement for developing the back of your arms. They target both the inner and outer heads of the triceps.
One-Arm Overhead Dumbbell Tricep Extension:
- Select a dumbbell and either stand upright, feet shoulder width apart, or sit on a bench with back support and place the dumbbell upright on the top of your thigh.
- Extend the dumbbell above your head, then slowly drop it to your shoulder while keeping your upper arm stationary (the entire motion will be in your forearm only). The palm of your hand should be facing forward with your pinkie facing the ceiling.
- Raise the dumbbell back above your head as you hold your upper arm stationary, keeping your elbows tucked in and not bowed outwards. Focus on the tricep as you complete the movement, then pause at the top of each motion.
- Repeat exercise for suggested amount of repetitions, then switch arms.
* Photos and video from © Bodybuilding.com