Machine shoulder lateral raises (or side shoulder raises) focus primarily on the side deltoids. They also hit the traps (upper back) and are a great excise for defining the shoulders and upper torso.
: Definition, Toning
How to do Machine Shoulder Lateral Raises:
- Sit on the lateral raise machine with the pad resting on top of your forearms. Select weight and make any adjustments to the seat according to your height.
- Keep your chest up, looking forward, and back straight before starting.
- Move your upper arms laterally until your upper arms are level to the floor, pushing away from your body.
- Pause at the top of each motion, then lower slowly back to starting position.
- Keep a constant contraction by not letting the weight stack touch until all reps are completed.
* Photos from © Bodybuilding.com